Friday, January 28, 2011

The Fundamentals

Alright, where to begin. It always seems to be the most difficult part... starting out, beginning, introductions, whatever you want to call it. Ian asked me if I was interested in co-writing a blog on cigars and beer and, well, how was I going to say no? They're both immensely interesting, tasty and slightly inebriating. Beer is one of the oldest historical alcoholic beverages, next to brandy and like all things (except humans; I refuse to accept I evolved from a monkey... they anger me) it has evolved. It's evolution has been a product of mistakes, calculated experimentation, devout monks and nuns, the Age of Discovery, necessity and wealth. It has been the product of national pride and uncompromising rebellion in times of war (which I will discuss in more depth in another post). It has served as the very base of grassroots politics and intelligent discourse on everything from art and travel to picking up an unexpreting, but not unassuming girl at the bar. In my own young experience, it has been the appetizer to many great people. Beer, tobacco (and in my personal case, wine and spirits) have been their own introduction. They have been the words, "Once upon a time..." and "Hi, my name is...". With that I will make you a promise. I will not be pompous and snobby. Beer and tobacco is meant to be enjoyed and everyone has they're own tastes. That colorful difference is part of the mystery and interest of beer and tobacco. Their purpose is to be enjoyed, with company or deep thought. It's easy to make something more complicated when we love it. That is the eternal struggle: to keep things pure and innocent in a far from innocent endeavor, at times. I ask you to keep me in check and to have good, honest discourse.

No comments:

Post a Comment