Saturday, January 22, 2011

Brew Vault

Once upon a time about a year ago, we brewed a brown ale using Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen yeast. We thought it would be a genius idea to open top ferment. This would make sense if we were a large craft brewery or had a house out in non-polluted nature. Inside an apartment full of bacon grease and pet dander however... this is not a good idea. We used a sanitized cheese cloth to cover it.


Moving along now, we bottled this beer and about two weeks down the road we tasted. It was strange and somewhat funky. We figured it was because of the hefe yeast but about three months later I discovered as I was alone in my office that something had gone super duper wrong.

I heard a bang, like a gunshot and looked around frightened! There was a second bang and a rain of glass shards fell upon me. I looked around distraught and noticed the large brown stain all over the wall. One word went through my head. Sh*t.

I cleaned up as well as I could, then as I was about to sit down again i remembered I had another full case of twenty-four sitting at my feet.

Frantically I ran to the sink with bottle opener in hand and began opening the bottles. They all had a slick foam shoot from them and a few bottle caps shot off like rockets. I had to wear a face shield. My adrenaline was pumping hardcore and I had no idea if any of the bottles were gonna blow in my hands.

It was interesting. I will never open top ferment again. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment