Monday, February 28, 2011

The joys of simplicity

It is well known among craft beer followers, that one of the most overdone beers in the USA (United States of America) is the IPA (India Pale Ale). Of course, IPA's are fun and exciting in a bitter sort of way, and I have absolutely no issue with them; However they do bring rise to what I consider a problem. 


If I had to guess, I would say that the common thought process for the many breweries that exist is, "We should create a totally bad ass amazing super strong ale!", which they end up doing. Nothing wrong with explosive flavor and getting drunk faster either... but with all of this taking place, beer "connoisseurs" are losing sight of the classic and deliciously refreshing simple beers that started it all!


My friends, i am speaking of the once powerful and overwhelmingly quenching lagers and pilsners!


Not only do I doubt that the ancient cultures who first created beer were trying to create something that would mentally attack even the most clever of minds and cause them to act in stupor (ex: Reinheitsgebot - the German Purity Law stating the only ingredients to be used were water, barley, yeast, and hops) but I am also speaking of the complexity that actually exists in such brews! 


I admit, that in the beginning of my beer drinking career, I thought that lagers and pilsners were weak and meaningless... but with the training I have undergone I now see that they are actually the essence of what is beer. So before you pass up another well made lager or pilsner remember where it came from, and the respect it deserves (even though you are about to consume it).


I just rubbed my eye with Ghost Chili hot sauce by accident, Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment