Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bottle Conditioning

I discovered something new today about bottle conditioning. Out of our first pilsner I decided to keep one bottle in the fridge to cold condition. 


I had some company over and decided to crack it open to let my guests taste, and lo and behold it had absolutely no carbonation. I thought, "Shit, half the batch must not have gotten enough priming sugar." 


Turns out, if the yeast is not comfortable then it wont eat. So just to double check I tried one of the bottle that was room temp and it had a perfect *sshhhhhppp* sound when I opened it. After I finished sighing with relief that time and money were not wasted, I went out for a couple beers and cigars. No connection but it seemed fitting.


So here's the moral of the story... keep your yeast cultures happy or they will be stubborn little assholes


As for the recent poll, looks like a stout it is. Get ready for a stout that will not only blow your mind, but will completely make you rethink your entire existence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment