Monday, September 5, 2011

Chinese and German



I have consumed many Chinese beers, and many German beers. When I was first getting into the beer world, I thought they tasted like skunk stew.

Noticed when drinking Lucky Buddha (sweet freakin' bottle!) the finishing tastes of honey. Strange how this beer tasted just like a delicious German Kolsch.


After drinking this beer, you rub the belly and get LUCKY!

Either way, I wondered where the connection was and did a little research, noting that this is how Tsing-tao finishes as well.

Qingdao was a German concession, and is located on the Shandong Peninsula, facing Japan and Korea. There are areas that imitate Germany in architecture, and obviously in beer. This is where Tsing-tao is brewed, and many other Chinese export beers tend to taste very similar.

The marriage of two cultures, so different and unexpected, created beer. Nothing wrong with that I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. That's really interesting! I didn't know that Germany used to have a little piece of land in China when they carved in up in the 1800s. I wonder if there's anymore information on the history on the brewery?

    ReplyDelete